Best Beef Stew
The addition of a little port wine (or fortified sweet wine) takes this stew from everyday to company fare.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 30 mins
- 2 tbso olive oil
- 2.5 - 3 pounds cubed beef Use top round, bottom round, chuck
- 2 large onions Spanish onions are best but any onions will do
- 3 medium carrots diced into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1/2 - 1 cup ruby port
- 2 cups small new potatoes. halved
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat. 2. Season the beef lightly with salt and pepper and add about half to the pan. 3. Brown on medium-high heat, turning occasionally, about 8-10 minutes. 4. Transfer the browned beef to a bowl, using a slotted spoon.5. Brown the remaining beef.6. Put all of the beef into the pan and add the onions and carrots.7. Cover and cook over medium heat until the onions are softened, about 5-6 minutes.8. Add the beef stock and reduce the heat to low.9. Cover tightly and cook for another 2 hours. If the meat is not tender enough, cook for another 15 minutes or so.10. When the stew is ready to serve, add the port and simmer for about 5 minutes more, to evaporate the alcohol.Serve with a good crusty loaf and a green salad.
You can makes this stew in a slow cooker.
Simply put everything into your slow cooker just before adding the beef stock.
Add the stock to the cooker and cover, cook on low for 4-5 hours.